March 30, 2013

Parkrun Cardiff - My 6th Parkrun!

This morning I woke up at 7:45 (on a SATURDAY) for another Cardiff Parkrun.  I felt pretty good going into it - but I hadn't run in about 2 weeks... (HOW DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING?)

It was cold and not raining!  And the sun was out!  It was still shockingly frigid - especially for March - but I lined up and and took off my jacket and pretended to not notice that it was only 3 degrees.
When the group started to move I saw the guy who dropped me (Mr. Red Shirt) on my first ever parkrun after kilometer 1 and decided to follow him for a while.  We did the first k together and then I decided to move a bit quicker and got on the tail of a girl in pink. Mr. Red Shirt did pass me again on mile 3, but I'm pretty sure he was less than 20 seconds ahead of me by the end.

One of the things I like about Parkrun is that I can find people I think/wish I run like and follow them.  I used to find I was around people who I thought I should be faster than - now I'm around people I feel quite equally matched to. The other interesting thing I've noticed is that skinny girls don't alway run fast, and chunkier blokes don't always run slow.  Runners come in all shapes and sizes!

I felt pretty good through the course - I don't walk at all anymore, I just jog/run quicker and slower.  I wasn't too sure of my time at the end, I didn't do a final sprint because I really didn't think I had it in me.  When I got in the time checking line there were loads of other people, which either meant I was running faster or everyone else was running slower!

In the end I had a new Personal Best for a 5k - 28:39!


Hooray Personal Best!

No comments:

Post a Comment