March 13, 2013

La Crêperie de Sophie: Restaurant Review Cardiff

After working too many weekends I decided to have a Thursday in town to meet up with Lois - one of my best friends from Uni who has since moved up to North Wales.  We both love food and decided to become "Ladies who Lunch" for the day.  I recently got a tastecard trial and thought I would check out one of the restaurants on 2 for 1 offer.  I've heard nice things about La Crêperie de Sophie before - not to mention always seeing them at markets around Cardiff - so we decided to give the restaurant a try.

Located in the High Street Arcade, La Crêperie de Sophie looked like a take-away crêpe shop from the outside.  Walking in we were greeted by a wall of Nutella (YUM!) and the smell of cooking crêpes - I was hungry from the start.


Downstairs was an absolutely adorable seating area.  It was quite small but not very crowded at 3pm on a Thursday.  I would call the ambiance "relaxed" - I could imagine a crêpe restaurant could look overly romantic but they had the balance between the dim lights of romance and the chilled atmosphere of relaxation just right.


We both ordered crêpes.  I had the Paysan - delicious garlic mushrooms and herbs, cheddar cheese, red onions, and green leaves.  Lois ordered the Cocorico - Chicken Breast, Brie Cheese, Cranberry Sauce, green leaves and balsamic dressing.


That's a normal sized plate - the crêpe is just big!  Mine was deliciously cheesy - it had far more cheese than I expected but this was great because I love cheese.  I don't think I've had a savory crêpe before but it was spectacular - the flavors melded together well and you could definitely taste the herby mushrooms over the strong cheese.  The crêpe itself was nice and crisp - not greasy at all.  At first I worried if it would be enough food, but by the end I was stuffed.

Lois's chicken and brie was superb as well - I think the magic is in the cooking of the crêpe as I've never managed to make such a thin, well cooked and flavorsome crêpe at home.  I was happy to have my cheesy crêpe though, as there was a lot of chicken but not as much brie in the Cocorico.  However we each polished ours off and (sadly) did not have room for a desert crêpe.

I'm a total Crêperie de Sophie convert. The food was delicious, the ambiance was lovely, the staff were attentive and friendly.  I only wish they were open in the evenings -  I would love to have date night with the Brewer Half here. Unfortunately I don't get to go out for lunch very often.  With the tastecard (buy one get one free crêpe) the total came to under a tenner, a very affordable lunch.  Even without the tastecard all the crepes are around £5, which is great value for fantastic food.

They also have some exciting looking Crêpes and Cider nights coming up - perhaps the Brewer Half and I can have date night at La Creperie de Sophie soon!  

16 High Street
Cardiff CF10 1BB
029 2037 2352


2 comments:

  1. Hi my sister sent me to this post as she is the waitress in the picture lol. Im a blogger also I keep on that she should do a blog but no luck so far.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sis was so sweet! That's why I always ask if I can take a picture before I take one :-) Don't want people surprised to find themselves on the internets! I checked out your blog and even though I'm not a parent I shall definitely follow, you have some very cute kiddies :-)

    ReplyDelete