January 12, 2013

(non)Paleo Pancakes and a Lazy Saturday

One of the great things about being away with work was/is that I work with a group of health conscious people and there are loads of healthy eating options available   I decided to do a test and see if I could eat no cheese and no white bread/grain for the 3 days I was away - I did and I felt good for it!  So I've tried to keep it up since coming home - sort of a cross between Paleo and the old Weightwatchers Core programme.  Also lots of Aero Hot Chocolate because it is DELICIOUS!

I eat a lot of eggs and omelets but this morning I wanted something a bit different.  I wanted PANCAKES!  but I didn't want flour.  So I looked up some recipes for Paleo pancakes and found one that looked interesting, so I chucked the following in a bowl and blended it:

3 bananas
3 eggs
1/3 cup peanut butter (because almond butter is too expensive)
1 tsp baking soda

That's pretty much a paleo pancake, but it just made me think of peanut butter and banana omelet  which sounds gross.  So I added a packet of flaxseed that I got as some free handout
and about 1/4 cup of oatmeal (which is not Paleo at all, but I'm not being Paleo, so I don't care)

And then I chucked it in a frying pan with tasty tasty butter:

And it came out like this:


Blurry!

No, actually delicious.  Not exactly like a pancake, but not far off.  I quite liked the thick texture, and I put a bit of Agave Nectar on it (because apparently I'm just being annoying now) and it was tasty tasty!  My brewer half probably would have preferred normal pancakes, but for a mostly made up attempt at avoiding white flour and overly processed foods I thought it was quite good!

The recipe made 6 pancakes, I had 3 for breakfast and then I had one for lunch - cold with a bit of almond butter.  YUM!

Tomorrow I'm off mountain biking - normally my snacks are french bread with cheese but I'm going to try chicken skewers and falafel bites instead.  But I'm probably going out to dinner after, because sometimes a girl needs treats!

1 comment:

  1. mmmmmm pancakes. isn't agave nectar amazing!??!? you can put it on anything!!! and you can put it in coffee and tea! one of my favourite coffee shops in chicago has an agave latte which i used to drink all the time.

    also look at this:

    What makes agave superior to sugar? Sugar is a processed sweetener that has no nutritive value, other than calories. And agave, as compared to other sweeteners, has a desirable low-glycemic index. This means that when consumed, it won't cause a sharp rise or fall in blood sugar.

    Here is a list of sweeteners and corresponding glycemic values. The higher the value, the bigger the impact on blood sugar.

    GLYCEMIC VALUES
    Organic Agave Nectar 27
    Fructose (fruit sugar) 32
    Lactose (milk sugar) 65
    Honey 83
    High fructose corn syrup 89
    Sucrose (sugar) 92
    Glucose 137
    Glucose tablets 146
    Maltodextrin 150
    Maltose 150

    ReplyDelete